Work - Day 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15

Monday was my first day in the clinic and it was pretty hectic trying to get caught up after the medical evacuations. Plus, I was alone at the front desk on my first day!

There wasn’t to be a doctor in the clinic today but we called one to come because one of the missionaries’ father is visiting from the USA and he arrived with a kidney stone. We had several walk-ins and local citizens were showing up at the main gate wanting to be seen. I had to ask the nurse to help with those because of the language barrier. I should start pidgin class soon.

The rule is that PNG citizens who work at the mission station are to have their supervisor call to make the appointment but, like everywhere else in the world, they try to bypass the rules. So, a man shows up saying Dr. Kevin told him to come to the clinic and I asked if he has spoken with his supervisor. It turns out he is a “VIP” from whom we lease the land for the mission station here. Thank goodness there was a missionary man in the lobby who helped me out of the situation. He told me the patient was the “bosman.” 

Land is key here.  If you own the land, you set the rules.  Foreigners can rent land but they cannot own the land.  I have heard that Exxon is running into some issues with various landowners as they build their pipeline.

I spent Monday afternoon doing 3 loads of laundry in the twin-tub washer.  Enough said.

Tuesday was a little slower in the clinic. I learned more about the appointment scheduling, collecting and posting receipts, and making deposits in the finance office. The accounting system is not the most user-friendly. I have heard we are not using it to its full potential so that will be an area to explore. I will become responsible for billing the insurance companies for the medical evacuations. The finance office has done it to this point.

Tama reported that the girl’s initial answer to the family’s marriage proposal for his brother was no. Then, she changed her mind and they are now waiting two weeks to make sure she doesn’t change her mind again.

Wednesday was another good day in the clinic. Dr. Bud conducted an eye clinic that afternoon to help a nurse from the island region be able to do eye exams. She does not have a doctor where she is located. I learned more administrative duties plus I took my computer to the IT department. The internet stopped working for some reason.

Thursday and Friday were spent working in the clinic, plus I had a meeting in the finance office learning about how the finances work here.  Our accounts are in US dollars and we convert to kina or Aussie dollars depending on what we are doing or where we are going.  We have provisional and personal accounts.  There are certain provisional items we can deduct from our PNG taxes.  Since most of my donations were given as one-time gifts before I signed my NTM contract here in PNG, my salary will probably be less than the threshold for paying PNG taxes.  The taxation will only be on the amount I receive after my contract was signed.  PNG does not recognize missions as a charity organization so New Tribes Mission is seen as for-profit in this country.  Even if I do pay taxes, the rate will be relatively low compared to the US tax rates.

Dr. Bud bought a TV and DVD player for me to use while I am here.  He does this for the associate missionaries who work in the clinic.  It is a very thoughtful thing to do.  The DVD player is actually a boom box that also can connect to the TV to play the DVD. 

Friday night I had pizza with Carmen and watched a movie, "The Ultimate Gift."  She was house sitting for a family and keeping their daughter, Hailey, who is 13.  The family had gone to another area of PNG for a mission conference.  Hailey was suppose to go and share a seat on the plan with another girl but the flight was booked before the other girl turned 14.  After the age of 14, you have to have your own seat and the flight was fully booked.  (You are considered an adult in PNG at age 14!)

Saturday I cleaned some more and washed laundry in my new front-load washer!  The cycles are relatively long - the shortest cycle runs about 70 minutes so I can't get many loads done.  If you wash too late in the day, the clothes will not get dry before dark.  I have learned by experience!

Saturday night I went to play cards with Carmen, Hailey, Andrea, and Paul.  Andrea and Paul have been married for just over a year.  They met here in PNG.  I think he is a pilot and I can't remember exactly what she does.

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” Colossians 3: 23-24