Time is Flying! - Month Eight and Nine

I cannot believe how quickly time goes. I feel like there is so much to do and so little time. Is that because I am getting older?

Our x-ray tech, who also orders for our pharmacy, is going home to the US for 6 months. The physician and nurses are learning to take the x-rays and I am to learn to order the drugs. We had been waiting months for our drugs to be delivered and three big orders all came on the same day. So, it was good timing for me to learn to receive the drugs in the computer and process the invoice to accounting. The worst part was finding space for them on the shelves. I still need to learn to order the drugs. I am hoping for help in this area as there is much to do in other areas of the clinic as well.

I did go with some of the clinic staff to the SIL mission near Kinantu to get some of our drugs which came on their plane. We combine our orders from a vendor in the Netherlands with SIL because a minimum dollar amount is required. The majority of our other drugs come from Australia and PNG. We do get some from the States but not as often due to costs. While at SIL, we toured their clinic and met some of their staff. They are actually with Wycliffe Bible Translators whose headquarters are in Dallas, but they are called Summer Institute for Linguistics here in PNG. Of course, we took time to go to their grocery store. It is much bigger than the one we have in Lapilo. We were also able to visit the cultural center in Kinantu. PNG is known for its beautiful pottery and baskets – all made by hand.
I have worked diligently to organize the laboratory in the clinic and am currently writing a laboratory procedure manual to use when performing tests. The menu of tests is fairly wide including a quantitative blood counts; various chemistry tests; urinalysis tests; and rapid immunoassays for malaria, H. pylori, HIV, and a few other diseases. Our doctor likes microbiology so he has supplies to make agar for growing cultures and various stains to use for identifying bacteria. I have enjoyed my time organizing the laboratory. Of course, I am really in my element when I am organizing. I especially love my new label maker! Hopefully, those working in the lab will be able to find their supplies.

The doctor and one of our nurses spent five days on the island of New Britain to minister to the missionaries in that location. It is very expensive for the missionaries to fly to Lapilo to see the doctor, so he goes there once or twice a year. This time he was also able to also see a few PNG citizens.

The clinic staff was recently invited to tour the Swiss mission. They are in a gorgeous location next to the river and have a pool and a guesthouse. They made a wonderful cake and fruit salad (watermelon, mango, and mulberries) for us. I tried my first gooseberry on our hike!

Life at Lapilo continues to be good. Once a year, we have Home Groups on Sunday morning rather than our typical church service. There were a total of 12 people at the home where I attended. We started with praise music and a devotional on prayer, which lead to a time of prayer for our missionaries working in the PNG tribes. There was a lovely brunch following the service with great fellowship.

The ladies Bible study on Ruth has ended. I really enjoyed the study and so appreciated the woman who took the time and energy to write the study for us. One night we watched a movie about Ruth which featured Carmen (the Christian singer) as Boaz. I cannot say it is on my top list to see again.

One recent school event was the Sadie Hawkins banquet for the high school students. The theme was Up in the Air. The decorations went from day to night time as you walked through the building with various weather conditions throughout the room. There were a couple of “Kodak moment” spots including a fake hot air balloon that the students could stand behind for photos. The costumes were really creative as you can see in the photos. The chairs were arranged like seats in an
airplane and they were given seat assignments as they walked in. The junior high students were the flight attendants and served their food to them.


    

Thanksgiving was a special time for me. There are turkeys here but they are about $50 so chicken was on most menus. I spent Thursday with the Friesen’s and Stephanie. Our menu was chicken ham (it is a chicken that tastes like ham), mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, corn, and blueberry pie. We then put together a 1000 piece puzzle of various New Zealand stamps. I can’t believe we finished it in one night!

Friday night I went to Carmen’s for pizza and lasagna. Stephanie and Chrissy were there also and we decorated Carmen’s house for Christmas.

Saturday I went to the Reithmiller’s house for another Thanksgiving celebration. The Morton and Hendrickson families were also there. We had such a feast – chicken with gravy, three kinds of stuffing, two sweet potatoes dishes, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry jello salad, bread, and two kinds of pie along with ice cream. My contribution was stuffing and the cranberry jello salad. We then played a game and visited for awhile.

We are definitely in mango season. I kept hearing loud thumps on my roof in the middle of the night and was told it was the fruit bats dropping mangoes from the tree close to my apartment. I have made two batches of mango salsa. The first batch I put on grilled chicken, used as a dip with chips, and made a sweet chili. It was really good, at least I thought so! I froze the second batch. I also put some in a Chinese dish that I made. My neighbor gave me some delicious mango jelly that she made. They are really tasty!

In my last post I talked about the meeting across the street from me where the national missionary from Yagaria was teaching. The Yagarian church still plans to present the chronological teachings from the Bible to those in the Bena tribe. The work meri from the clinic commented that there have been churches in this country for many years with no substantial change in the hearts of men. Men and women are now ready to make a stand for Christ. They are beginning to understand that one does not need a particular religion to go to heaven, but can go straight to Christ for forgiveness based on His grace and not on personal works.

There has subsequently been another meeting on the land next to us. The featured speaker was a self-proclaimed prophet whose teaching reportedly confuses the Gospel. Please pray that the people hearing these teachings will look to God’s Word for truth.


Tolly
 Please pray also for my language helper, Tolly. She has not been able to work since October. I did get to hike into a village across the river with another missionary couple to visit with their language helper.




 

As I write, it is a quiet afternoon in the mountains of PNG. My little Christmas tree is decorated and Christmas music is playing. I am honored to be here serving the Lord and thanking Him for all He has done for me! May each of you have a wonderful and blessed Christmas while remembering the birth of our Savior.