I spent New Year’s Eve at the Earl’s house along with 30+ other people. We had a wonderful time. We played games, put on skits, and again exchanged White Elephant gifts. The skits were hilarious. The group divided into four teams with each being given costumes and accessories around which a skit was to be developed. Our team did “Gunshot Wedding.” I was the bride’s father and used “my gun that I got for Christmas” (inside joke with my family). The bride and mother of the bride were men, the minister was a clown, our narrator was a samurai warrior, and the groomsman was in love with the bride. The other teams put on “Little Red Riding Vest,” “Rapunzel,” and “PMV i Paitim Meri” (translation - Woman Hit by Bus). At midnight, the kids (and some adults) were allowed to remove the mufflers from their motorcycles and ride around the center for 15 minutes. This was in lieu of traditional fireworks.
January 6th is the day most Western churches celebrate Epiphany which refers to the realization that Christ is the son of God. While the clinic was back in full swing on this day, the school was still on break and one of the teachers invited people to a full day of movies. I was able to attend one in the evening after work. (Have you noticed that movies are a really big deal here?)
I have started a Bible study on Psalms. It is not the easiest book for me! I am learning many things and it is a great way to get to better know some of the ladies. There are quite a few new ones that were not in the Ruth Bible study.
The nurses “lost their will to live” in December when they inventoried all of our drugs in the pharmacy. What a tedious job! Now that they have finished, I am trying to de-clutter the shelves and improve the efficiency of the pharmacy. This is also a very tedious job. But as I have said, I am in my element when I am organizing. Chrissy, our Northern Ireland nurse comedian, commented “Well, let’s face it; God will not be able to call out the names in the Book of Life until Shirley alphabetizes it for Him!” Really, I am not that presumptuous!
Tena came a couple of times to the clinic in January and continues to improve but he is still battling his infection. Please keep him in your prayers.
Please also pray for my sister, Donna, who is receiving chemotherapy for lymphoma and my sister-in-law, Penny, who just had surgery to place a stent in her brain to decrease the spinal fluid pressure that is causing her to have severe headaches.
![]() |
| Donna |
![]() |
| Penny with my brother, Owen |

