I am working quite a number of hours in the clinic. I have finished re-organizing the laboratory and pharmacy and am now starting on the emergency/procedure room. These are after-shots. (I didn't take any before-shots!)
Lab Photos
Pharmacy Photos



The new medical record system is coming along nicely and we have transferred most of the NTM and non-NTM missionary files and other expatriate files from manilla folders with unsecured papers to divided records with secured papers. The next phase is the transition of our national citizen files, which I will explain in greater detail at a later date. There are some unusual (to the Western world) challenges with these files.
Thanks to these ladies for transitioning the records!
I have also made some, but not nearly enough, progress on the policy and procedure manual.
Everyone is very excited because our new x-ray machine and table has been installed. It was purchased from Samaritan's Purse in North Carolina using donated funds.
I had a great time touring the kindergarten class through the clinic. Here is a picture of me showing them digital x-rays on the computer and them feeling their bones! :)
I spent my second Easter in PNG, celebrating twice. A group gathered at Carmen’s house before Easter and then I had Easter dinner at the Chapman’s along with 30 other people. It was a wonderful day celebrating the resurrection of our Savior, Jesus Christ! There have been a whirlwind of activities since Easter, especially with school activities including a couple of skate nights and a field day.
Each skate night has a theme around which some people (not me) dress in costume. The first theme was SciFi and the second was TV and Cartoon Characters.
The field day was packed with events for the young and the younger. I helped as a score keeper.
The spring music recital held in May was exceptional wonderful!
It is good to praise the Lord and make music to your name, O Most High,
To proclaim your love in the morning and your faithfulness at night. Psalm 95:1-2
We have many families from UK commonwealth countries so the royal wedding was not to be missed. We received our own invitation and were able to watch a ‘previously-recorded’ ceremony. Most ladies and young girls wore their hats and drank tea. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, was in attendance (see if you can spot her) and there was even a wedding cake! I was late to the ceremony because I had dinner on the same night with the families that attended the pre-field orientation in Florida with me.
I was able to go to some places I had not been in town – the post office and the bank. We went into the back of the post office because we were picking up NTM mail to take to the Lapilo center. It was interesting to see "behind the scenes." In most banks in the US you are greeted with a pleasant smile and kind hello welcoming you to the bank. Here you are met by the vicious teeth and growl of a Rottweiler dog. He is seriously the most massive dog I have ever seen! The door is unlocked only to allow customers in and out. They would not let me out the door because a “longlong meri” (crazy woman) was passing by at the time I was leaving. She was quite a site for Goroka with her cropped top, short shorts, and red thong underwear showing. She had tangent leaves stuck into the top of her shorts and in her hair. She was waving two long leaves in both hands and raving about something in a language I could not understand. The doorman told me she had a “bad spirit.” It truly was a very sad site.
One of the most exciting events at this time was a baptism service for 11 of our youth here at Lapilo. I then found out that my nephew was baptized the same weekend and one of our tribes held a service as well!
Gende Tribe
May is the month when we begin to look toward the “mass exodus” that occurs each June. The ever-popular, annual flea market was held. This is where missionaries who are leaving for home assignment or “going finish” (they have completed their time with NTM) sell their “no longer needed by them” belongings to missionaries who “probably don’t need them either.” Of course, I bought a few of those things myself - mostly DVDs.
There were lots of good-byes and tears as people made plans to leave in early June. The center held an ice cream social to say good-bye to those “going finish.” I made caramel sauce from scratch! It was really pretty good. Each man and women leaving had someone stand before the group to comment about their work that was done here. I had the privilege to speak on behalf of Brenda, who is a receptionist in our clinic. Her husband works in our computer department and they have two daughters. They will be greatly missed.
Praying for Brenda and family
The clinic said good-bye to several who will be leaving in June. Dr. Bud, Barb (nurse), and Lesley (physical therapist) are leaving to go to their home countries for a year of home assignment. This time is primarily used to connect with current supporters, raise new support, and attend training seminars. There is typically lots of travel and speaking involved. Chrissy (nurse) and Brenda (receptionist) are both going finish. Thankfully our interim physician, Dr. Dave, has arrived in time to overlap a short while with Dr. Bud.
Chrissy and Brenda (plates by Dr. Bud) Dr. Bud and Lesley
| Barb |
| Clinic staff following the “same” set of instructions! |
It is good to know we will spend eternity in heaven with those who have left!
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. Revelation 3: 20-21